Wednesday, November 8, 2017

REVIEW : The Dark Element - The Dark Element (2017)

The Dark Element is a new project/band that consists of former Nightwish vocalist Anette Olzon and Finnish guitarist and songwriter Jani Liimatainen. This collaboration between those two musicians creates a strong debut album that the sure thing is that will put a big smile upon the face of every Epic, Power Metal fan out there.

Jani Liimatainen states about this new album : "I have always been a big fan of Anette's voice and when the opportunity to work with her arose, writing and producing an album, it was something I just couldn't say no! It has been a blast working on the songs and I can't wait for everyone to hear the final result." And Anette Olzon add : "I am so looking forward to this album and I believe our collaboration worked like a perfect match and I am really happy that Jani and Frontiers asked me to do this with them!"

This new album kicks-off with "The Dark Element". A powerful, epic and 'darker' song surrounded by Olzon's amazing vocal lines, haunting melodies and great arrangements. I like this one 'cause reminds me a bit of Nightwish's works but with a modern approach. "My Sweet Mystery" is heavier, more theatrical and catchier! The chorus line is pure candy in my ears and it's among my personal favorites from this album.

"Here's To You" is a modern metal anthem with a hook and chorus line strong enough to make you whistle it for days! Simply breathtaking!! "Someone You Used To Know" is a great ballad all the way. Filled in with Olzon's soulful n' emotional vocal lines and with a melody that aims through your heart this song is pure heaven! With "Dead To Me" and  "The Ghost And The Reaper" the band delivers two more high-energetic and extremely catchy melodic metal gems and with "I Cannot Raise The Dead"  we are dealing with a monstrous and more pop-ish rock highlight form this debut.

All in all, this is a brilliant record all the way. Anette Olzon has an amazing vocal and that can be shown in every single moment of this debut and tTogether with Jani Liimatainen they create a really superb piece of modern melodic metal album that will be appreciated by any rock fan in general. 

Rating : 9/10






No comments:

Post a Comment